Whole Foods Market
Rocky Mountain Region Store Opening
Build relationships on a grassroots level within a small mountain community that has only three key publications.
Whole Foods Market opened its first store in the Summit County community of Frisco on April 29, 2014. Members of the community were filled with a mixture of excitement, yet concern over another “corporate” store moving into their mountain town. In addition, the Summit County area contains a very limited media pool, with only three key publications available, which creates a challenge in terms of securing both ample and quality coverage—without creating media fatigue.
The key to the store’s successful communication approach relied heavily on relationships within the community and taking a more grassroots approach to tell the Frisco story through various channels (i.e. social media, community events and enlisting third parties). Community relations and media support were critical in order to prove that the store was going to be a good neighbor to the Summit County community.
Our communication campaign consisted of a variety of tactics in the following categories: Media relationships (establishing key community relationships, tailored pitching based on interest, partnering with local blogger communities and offering exclusive sneak peek tours prior to the store opening), Press Materials (created a regular rhythm of press materials and pitches) and Opening Day Tactics (on-site, day-of activation in order to secure media).
Further details included:
- Conducted in-person visits to all top targeted media which developed key relationships and served as an opportunity to learn more about what each reporter was interested in covering.
Worked with local quarterly publication, Colorado Summit Magazine, for sneak peek tour to highlight the opening in summer issue to maintain post-opening excitement.
- Partnered with Breckmoms.com for an exclusive family sneak peek and craft event. Created custom flyer for Breckmoms.com to host on their website and distribute on their various social channels.
- Hosted VIP/Media Sneak Peak tours, attended by Summit Daily (ran story), MTN Town Magazine, Krystal 93 FM, and Colorado Summit Magazine.
- Drafted and distributed several press releases/media alerts focusing on key general interest areas such as job openings, community partners and pre-opening events.
- Partnered with Town of Frisco to have the communication director distribute pre-opening events’ alert to their media list.
- Partnered with central to distribute two micro-releases to Rocky Mtn. contact list. The releases were also housed in the central newsroom.